Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Addition and Subtraction Strategy Playbook

If you've followed me for some time, you might already know that I'm a sucker for a good theme! I created my Addition and Subtraction Strategies {A Math Playbook} product with a football theme in mind to get my kiddos excited and keep them engaged while learning about addition and subtraction strategies! It also didn't hurt that I blasted the NFL theme song at the beginning of every lesson! HA! 


Here's how it all went down in my classroom...

I introduced one strategy a day {hundreds chart, number line, make a model, break apart}. I used the posters included in this product as my teaching tool by displaying them on the projector. Students recorded notes for each strategy in their Addition and Subtraction Strategy Playbook.


After I taught the strategy for the day, my students completed an interactive journal page to show their understanding. 



After doing a quick check of their journal pages, I was able to see who needed extra reinforcement. While my other kids worked in their daily math centers, I worked with my struggling students to complete an additional practice handout.


At the end of the week, we played a game to review the strategies.





I spread green butcher paper on their tables for them to use as a workspace to solve their problems. After the game, I felt confident that my kiddos were ready to rock their test! I think they did too!


This product is on sale for 50% off until 1:00 PM tomorrow {Wednesday, December 30th). You can find it here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment