Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Three Little Pigs {A Fairy Tale Study}

Fairy tales are one of my favorite units to teach! Not only do I love reading them aloud to my kiddos, I also love exposing them to different versions of a familiar fairy tale. This unit always leads to great conversations! You can find so many unique versions of familiar fairy tales out there! Have you seen some of these? Oh the cuteness!


Now I don't read every.single.one to my kiddos, but I did pick four to concentrate on during our Three Little Pigs study. The rest of them I set aside in our reading bucket for students to read to themselves throughout the week. Here is what our week looked like...

I chose one version of The Three Little Pigs to read a day {Monday through Thursday}. We started by talking about important words that we will come across in our book. As I read the book aloud, I used the think aloud strategy to get my kiddos to connect the similarities and differences between the different versions we were reading. Each day we charted the characters, setting, problem, and solution as a class. 


Students can also record story elements in their reading journal or on a story mat using sticky notes. 


Then, my students completed a beginning, middle, end flap book to retell the story in their own words. To help them get their thoughts together before they wrote, we put together these character puppets. They practiced retelling the beginning, middle, and end in small groups before writing on their own.


You can also use popsicle sticks with story element pictures for students to use to retell the story.



On Friday I let them choose two fairy tales that we read throughout the week to compare and contrast. 


{I did not start my unit with the The Three Little Pigs. We actually began with Little Red Riding Hood and I used that fairy tale study to model how to write about the beginning, middle, and end of a story and how to compare/contrast different versions of the same fairy tale. You can find my Little Red Riding Hood unit here.}

These activities come from my Three Little Pigs fairy tale study.



In this unit you will find...
-story elements graphic organizers to use with three specific versions of The Three Little Pigs {The Three Little Pigs, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, and The Three Little Javelinas}
-graphic organizers to use with any version of The Three Little Pigs
-a student mini dictionary to record important words from the text
-anchor chart story elements labels
-story mat labels
-character pictures for puppets
-story elements pictures for popsicle stick retelling
-compare/contrast graphic organizers
-two opinion writing prompts with graphic organizers and writing paper
-pig and wolf craft templates

This unit is in my TPT shop and will be on sale through tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment