Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Comparing Fairy Tales

Comparing different versions of the same fairy tale is probably my favorite literary standard to teach! I think it is so much fun and the kids always love it too! This year I started with Jack and the Beanstalk and integrated comparing fairy tales, understanding the beginning, middle, and end of a story and opinion writing into this one unit. 


It's been a busy, but fun couple of weeks!


First, I began by reading Jack and the Beanstalk by Steven Kellogg. I just love the illustrations and rich language in this book. (More on that later!) After we read the story, we charted the characters, setting, problem, and solution on our class anchor chart. I used one color sticky notes for this book and the other color is for Trust Me, Jack's Beanstalk Stinks (the second book). 


After charting the story elements, we climbed the retelling beanstalk to help us remember what happened in the story. The "beanstalk" was made out of bulletin board paper. Super easy, but added novelty to our lesson!

We followed the exact same procedure for Trust Me, Jack's Beanstalk Stinks by Eric Braun. This is the cutest book and really helps students understand point of view!


To reinforce beginning, middle, and end, students completed this response activity. 



This is another version of a response activity that students can complete. 


After reading both books, and really diving into story elements, we compared and contrasted the books using a Venn Diagram.


We then chose our favorite book and wrote an opinion writing piece to describe what made that book our favorite. The majority of my kiddos chose Trust Me, Jack's Beanstalk Stinks! Ha!

My teacher heart actually really loves the Steven Kellogg version because of that rich language I mentioned earlier. 


similes


interesting vocabulary

I try to mark the words, and phrases, that I want to point out to my students on a sticky note. This helps me remember my teaching points because well... if I don't write things down, I might forget! Anyone else?! 

If you would like a little cheat sheet for this book to help you remember what words and phases to point out to students, I've got you covered! You can download, for free, my cheat sheet and an interactive notebook printout for students to use when discussing smilies here. You can either have your kiddos write what the simile means under each flap or have them draw a picture.



You can find my Jack and the Beanstalk mini unit here for 50% off through tomorrow!

I also have a Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale study and a Three Little Pigs fairy tale study if you are teaching a comparing fairy tales unit.


0 comments:

Post a Comment