Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wrapping up the end of year

Phew, our state standardized testing has FINALLY come to an end. Now it is coming to that time of the year when we start to wrap everything up. I wanted to share a couple of things we have been working on including how I have set up math tubs for a little end of the year review.

I only have 8 kiddos in my small group math class, so I decided to break them up into groups of two and have them rotate through 4 math stations. They spend about 15 minutes at each stations and my parapro and myself float around to assist when needed. My stations include a math game, computer, word problem practice, and computation practice. Besides reviewing concepts we have learned throughout the year, these stations will double up as a way for me to collect data on key math skills for end of the year progress reports. Here are a couple of pictures of my math stations.


Stations listed for each day and the names of who starts at what station.



4 math tubs with ALL the supplies they need for each rotation. I wanted to prevent them from wasting time trying to find a pencil or a piece of scrap paper or manipulatives.

My fifth graders began a response to literature unit today. I am doing a Judi Barrett mini author study that I picked up from Jessica Winston's class website. Love it!! We started with talking about vocabulary words found in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I wrote each word on a half sheet of paper and had the students brainstorm what they thought each word meant. Then, we looked up each word in the dictionary and I wrote the actual definition on each sheet. The words are currently hanging on my whiteboard for my students to refer to when we read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs tomorrow (which I won't be there for because I have 2nd grade common core planning).



Off to watch last week's episode of Revenge on the DVR. Obsessed! Happy Wednesday friends!

0 comments:

Post a Comment