Friday, February 22, 2013

Five for Friday

Yay! I'm super excited to be linking up for my first ever linky party... yep you heard that right... this is my first EVER linky party! I know this was one of my bloggy New Year's Resolutions annnnd it's already February, but better late than never right? So here goes my first Five for Friday.

1. I have been obsessed with this little blue bottle ever since I happened upon it the other day at the grocery store.

 
I mean... a little piece of paradise in a tiny blue bottle! This has become my little afternoon treat. After the kiddos are gone and I'm all alone in my room... I put a couple drops of this into a nice cool glass of water and pretend I'm here...

2. Speaking of the beach... the hubs and I spent the long weekend in PCB. Ahhh... if only it was warm when we went.



Oh well... it was still beautiful!


Our fav place to go! We love us some Schooners!

3. Back to reality... we have been working on comparing and contrasting two different versions of the same fairy tale. We read The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig.




The True Story of the Three Little Pigs




The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig

We then used this cute graphic organizer (courtesy of Cara Carroll) to write the characters, setting, problem, solution, beginning, middle, and end of each story. I then paired up my kids and gave them each a piece of the story map to record on a post-it. We wrote one story on pink post-its and the other story on yellow. I then placed the post-its on a bigger version of this graphic organizer. It really helped my kids see the difference between both stories by having the story elements written on different color post-its and posted side-by-side.


After reading both stories, I had them complete this venn diagram (courtesy of Christina Bainbridge) to compare the similarities and differences between the two stories. I then had them make these little wolves and pigs. They turned out too cute!


4. Look at what I got this week...


Oh yes! Heaven in a box! I may have eaten a sleeve a few thin mints. My philosophy is get rid of em' quick and then you won't be tempted anymore. Ha!

5. TGIF! Have a great weekend friends! Anybody have any big plans? For me, just relaxin'! Can't wait!

6 comments:

  1. We are doing fairy tales too! Love your ideas! Check out some of the things we are doing at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! Welcome to the world of linkies :)

    I stumbled on your blog from Doodle Bugs - and am so glad that I did! Your blog is so cute!

    I LOVE the two books you mentioned - we did a fable unit earlier in the year and I read both of those to my kiddos. They roared! What a great twist on the original story.

    Enjoy your relaxing weekend!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those books too! So fun! I will have to try the Dasani Drops...they sounds yummy!
    Julie
    Ms. Shope's Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, Randi! I love those characters faces. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beach would be amazing right now! We just got 4 inches of snow in MN...long way away from warm beach weather!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beach. I, also, love your little pig and wolf, so cute. I am your newest follower.

    Terri
    The First Grade Princess

    ReplyDelete