Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Snapshots

I have really enjoyed my weekend! It has gone by waaaayyy too fast! I was able to catch up on much needed R & R yesterday. In fact, I slept off and on all.day.long. Ha! Today I got to meet my sweet momma at Nordstrom for lunch. Yum! I also finished up my lesson plans for next week, did some master's work, and found a little time to blog. Phew! I am so thankful for my sweet husband and for everything he does to help me out around the house during the school year. Without him, I don't know how I'd ever get anything done. 

I thought I'd share a couple more pictures from this past week with y'all...


We have been busy learning about stars for the past couple of weeks. We finished up our study on stars by talking about the closest star to Earth. The Sun of course! I got the idea for my little sun anchor chart from Simply Second Grade. It turned out super cute!



We have also been talking about money this week. I had my kiddos make this parts of a dollar flip book to reinforce their knowledge of coin values.


Ok... so this was from a couple of weeks ago, but I thought I'd share. To teach my kiddos the importance of thinking about time as the order that things happen, I assigned each student with a different part of our day to illustrate and show the time on a digital and analog clock. After brainstorming our daily schedule, I noticed we came up with more times than I have kids. Not a problem... my sweets were more than happy to get chosen to double up. Ha!

We have also been working really hard on identifying the main idea and supporting details from a fiction text. As guided lessons, I read aloud these two books and we worked to find the main idea and three details that supported the main idea.

The Snowy Day: 50th Anniversary Edition


Sloppy Joe

If you haven't read Sloppy Joe yet, it is too funny! My kids were laughing the whole.way.through!


 We made these main idea trees from Amy Lemons' What's the Main Idea? packet. This packet is a GREAT resource for teaching main idea. If you don't already own it... go grab yourself a copy! I read aloud The Great Kapok Tree and had the kids make this tree independently. I used this as my assessment. Cute and useful!

The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest 

Now it's time to get ready for the Oscars' Red Carpet!! What nominated movie was your favorite this year? I actually haven't seen any of the movies... I just like seeing what everyone is wearing. HA!

0 comments:

Post a Comment