Monday, May 13, 2013

Daily Five

I've had a couple people ask how I organize Daily Five in my classroom. I thought I would do a little post to explain. It always help to have pictures! :)

First off, I have four pocket charts that I picked up at Target last summer hanging on the doors of my large black cabinet. Gotta use every stinkin' space available! Ha! I use these pocket charts to display Daily Five choices.


Each student is given a number at the beginning of the year. They use their numbers for EVERYTHING, including Daily Five. Next to their number they place their "ticket" to show their Daily Five choice for the day.  The "tickets" are from Ladybug's Teacher Files.


The "tickets" are hanging in small containers, also from Target last summer, on the side of my black cabinet. Each choice has a different container. Before Daily Five begins I pull popsicle sticks to call on students to choose their Daily Five station for the day. I limit how many students can go to Work on Writing, Word Work, computer, and Listen to Reading due to space constraints at each of these stations. One station I don't have a "ticket" for is computer. When students visit the computer station they can go to Education City or Tumble Books. I write down their choice on a Daily Five tracker chart I got off of TPT for free. I usually can only get to one round of Daily Five each day. I would like to do more, but I can't find the time. 


Listen to Reading and computers


Work on Writing (writing board from A Cupcake for the Teacher)

I have a separate table for Word Work, but I can't find the picture... boo! Word Work is the only station, besides computer, that I have my kiddos working on a specific assignment. During Word Work my kids work on Mountain Language before they choose a spelling task card. I got my spelling task cards from Amy Lemons. 



My system is by no means perfect and I already know about a bazillion things I want to change next year. Hopefully this gave you some ideas. I would love to hear how you organize/manage your Daily Five time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment