Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Intervention Block Continued

I posted yesterday about how I run my intervention block. I wanted to share a couple more pictures of what I do when I work with individual/small groups of students during this time. 

I only have about 20-25 minutes to dedicate as my "intervention block". We do this first thing in the morning after morning work. No, I do not check morning work every morning for every student. I have in the past, but I decided early on this year that having a little block of time to work with students one-on-one was what my class needed instead. I also do Guided Reading… another post is coming on that later in the week. :)

Here are a couple of examples of what I do with my kids…




{A Cupcake for the Teacher Sentence Builders}
{The 100 Chart handout was a Freebie and I can't find the original link, so if that's you please let me know. I'd love to give you credit! ;)}



Again, I use any resource I have to reinforce skills/concepts my kiddos are having trouble retaining. I don't do literacy stations in my classroom, but I love using literacy center activities during this time. 

I also like to keep ANYTHING I might need handy at my teacher table. That way, I don't have to go searching for pencils, post-its, sight word cards, etc.


I like to jot down quick notes throughout the week on what I notice is giving my kids trouble. That way, when I go to plan, I have an idea of who I need to pull for what. Each post-it is covering a numbered square because I assign each of my kids numbers. I mostly focus on reading foundational skills and math concepts.


{I use to use these post-its to document behavior until I started using ClassDojo}
If you would like a copy of these pages you can find them here.

I hope this gives you some new ideas to use in your class! Does anyone else do anything similar? I'd love to know how you fit in intervention time with your kiddos!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Randi!

    I'm your newest follower! I found you through TpT, and I just love your ideas! I use ClassDojo as well, and I love it! I can't wait to see what other great ideas you share!

    Theresa @ True Life I'm a Teacher http://learnmesomethinggood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I have a question! I saw that you do this first thing in the morning. Do you have some students complete morning work while you pull the others. So, then the students you pull do not complete the morning work for that day? Just curious. I like this idea because I have lots of different needs in my classroom this year and guided reading only isn't cutting it. :)

    Jess
    The Teacher Talk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kiddos arrive between 7:15 and 7:50, so that is when they do morning work. At 8 I start my intervention block. At that time everyone is working on their word problem of the day and their reading comprehension passage of the day. I pull kids as everyone is working. Doing guided reading only wasn't cutting it for me either. :)

      Delete