Friday, April 28, 2017

Little Red Riding Hood: A Fairy Tale Study

I'm so excited to share that I have completely updated one of my first TPT products!


In this fairy tale study, you will find lesson plan ideas for a 2 week Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale unit. Not only did we compare and contrast different versions of Little Red Riding Hood, but we also dove into story structure, story elements, character traits, point of view, and opinion writing!


To kick off our unit, we discussed what we knew about fairy tales and I had the kids guess what fairy tale we would be studying based on this prop.


One of my favorite activities was this character case file!


Students had to provide character traits and text evidence to prove who the real villain from the Little Red Riding Hood story was. We read Red Riding Hood by James Marshall and Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten by Trisha Speed Shaskan. In Red Riding Hood, we identified that The Wolf was the "bad guy", but in the other story, The Wolf didn't actually seem so bad; it was really Red Riding Hood who was the rotten one. My kiddos then used this evidence to write a letter to a classmate who had a different opinion to prove that their character was really the villain in the fairy tale.


We also made a craft to go along with our opinion writing.



I was also able to model how to write about the sequence of events in a story after we read Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale by Lisa Campbell Ernst. 


You can find this unit, and other fairy tale units, here in my TPT shop!




0 comments:

Post a Comment