Saturday, April 1, 2017

Weekly Recap

Happy Saturday! In case you missed any of my Insta Posts recently... here is a quick recap!


After reading Rosie Revere Engineer, we read a nonfiction text about Amelia Earhart. We determined the main topic of each chapter and ended the week by determining the main idea of the entire text. My kiddos determined the main idea of the text by identifying Amelia Earhart's legacy. We used the sentence starter "Amelia Earhart is most famous for..." to help us. They wrote this sentence on a strip of paper made to look like a banner that flies behind an airplane. We then made airplanes using a clothespin and popsicle sticks. The idea for the airplanes came from Amy Lemons at Step Into Second Grade and the nonfiction reader came from Rooted in Reading March. You can grab the airplane banner printable here.


Everyday I end the day with a read aloud. Reading aloud to my students is one of my favorite things to do in the classroom. It also helps them to settle down before the craziness of dismissal begins. Right now we are reading The Boxcar Children. My kiddos have really enjoyed this book so far. It has made for really great discussions! 


Another way I like to end my day is by writing a quick to do list on a Post-It of the top three, or four, things I need to accomplish the next day. Keeping short lists has helped me prioritize my day and keep me from feeling overwhelmed! I use Post-Its because, besides loving them so, I can stick it right to my table and throw it away at the end of the day. If you haven't tried this, you should! Let me know how it goes for you! 

I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment